Current and recent projects
- I will be at the ACTFL Convention this week with my colleagues at the Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language, and Literacy (booth number 9071 in the exhibition hall). I will also be giving talks on Social reading through Hypermedia and Designing German Curricla for Multiple Learners.
- Together with my colleague David Gramling, I am collaborating on a large grant project on Researching Multilingually at the Borders of Language, the Body, Law, the State, which is funded through the Arts and Humanities Research Council of the UK and led by Alison Phipps (University of Glasgow). Our case study in the project considers Southern Arizona, where we live and work, as a multilingual ecology that is far more complex that many discussions of bilingualism and biculturality often imply and what implications this has for teaching, learning, researching, and translating languages.
- The volume Transforming the Foreign Language Curriculum in Higher Education: New Perspectives from the United States (edited by Janet Swaffar and Per Urlaub) appeared this fall. The book includes my chapter “Mapping New Classrooms in Literacy-Oriented Foreign Language Teaching and Learning: The Role of the Reading Experience" and a number of other chapters on innovative pedagogies.
- My colleague David Gramling and I also have an article--“Kontaktpragmatik: fremdsprachliche Literatur und symbolische Beweglichkeit.”--forthcoming in the journal Deutsch als Fremdsprache as part of a special issue on Literature in German Foreign Language Teaching.
- Some preliminary discussion of one of my current projects is featured in a chapter, which I co-authored with Jon Reinhardt and Kristin Lange on "Digital games as practices and texts: New literacies and genres in an L2 German classroom." Our contribution and the rest of the Calico volume on Digital Literacies in Foreign and Second Language Education (edited by Janel Pettes Guikema and Lawrence Williams).
- Routledge's latest handbook on stylistics has recently appeared. This beautiful volume, edited by Michael Burke, includes a contribution from me on “Literary Pragmatics and Stylistics."